My roommate and I spent two hours last night watching the live stream from the minnesota state capitol. The dfl senators were doing an amazing job of testifying about why glbt people should be allowed to marry. I was really touched by their heart felt words and actual tears on the floor. As they talked, you could easily hear the crowd outside the chamber chanting and singing.
I only heard two republican reps speak, and they were pretty amazing. One of them was basically like, if gay people can fight in the military, they should be allowed to get married. He said, "if there were a 'hell no' button on my desk, i would push it!" And then he pleaded for his fellow republicans to vote against putting the amendment on the ballot. Another republican got up and said that even his own children wouldn't vote for the amendment if it were up for a vote.
Unfortunately, the other republicans wouldn't listen and they outnumbered the dfl-ers, so the agreement vote passed and it will bre on the ballot in 2012.
I guess I'm a little concerned but not too bad. A recent poll revealed that even at this point, a majority of minnesotans would vote against the amendment. And if a republican hog farmer out in cottonwood can't convince his own children about this, then this debate really is over.
Also, right after the vote, we turned on the tv just in time to see lady gaga on snl, being all super queer and outrageous. If a mainstream audience like that has embraced queerness, the debate is over. It might just be an issue of waiting for a certain generation to pass, even if that is an awful thing to say.
No comments:
Post a Comment