I'm out at the farm for the weekend, trying out some family-management techniques that my therapist has taught me. The focus is keeping myself calm when someone says something crazy/insensitive/abusive to me.
My brother started in right away today with his recounting of all childhood ills. When he said, "Grandma didn't like you," to me, I didn't get angry because I knew that was his mental illness talking. I gently responded, "grandma likes me now. We have a really good time together." Actually, my grandma was one of the most stable, loving people in my life, and I am secure in that.
The more he talked, the more I thought about how important it is to stay in the present moment. The past really doesn't matter, especially if the past was an unpleasant time for you. He can't see that right now though, because his mind is cloudy from mental illness.
I also am keeping myself firm in the feeling that I am complete entirely on my own. There is nothing that I need from anyone in this house. So with that reasoning, no one here can disappoint me, no master how they act or what they say.
It is true. Not only are you complete, but you are one of the most truly beautiful people I've ever met.
ReplyDelete