Monday, January 3, 2011

Linguistic arrogance

Today someone I barely know sent me a link to this organization, along with the following comment:
I'm sure this is a great organization that does good work, but check out the butchered text on the site. How hard is it to get a basic proofreader? Maybe you can use this site as a tool in teaching your students how NOT to learn the English language.

There are so many things wrong with this. First of all, the website is not that bad. Yes, there are some syntax and homophone issues. They write "row" models instead of "role" models. But overall, I'm impressed with the layout of the site and the information they give, and I am very glad this organization exists. I have definitely seen university-level students make more mistakes than the writers of this website.

Second, the text on the website is wayyyyy too advanced for the students I have. Most of the students I have are at the very beginnings of literacy- exploring shapes and letter symbols, connecting them to sounds, learning basic vocabulary and how to string words together. If that commenter spent just one day in my classroom, she would understand why the website doesn't seem that bad to me.

Third of all, what's with the anger? How fast do you think people learn English, and US culture? The truth is, cultural fluency doesn't happen in one generation, which is about how long the Somali people have lived in Minnesota. I wonder how long it would take this lady to become fluent in Somali...?

Lastly, why get snotty with me for some reason? Am I really the only person you know who interacts with English language learners? Do you really think I will be snotty/snarky/disrespectful to them for this website that they have nothing to do with?

1 comment:

  1. I actually just read an article about how mexican immigrants are generally fluent in English by the second generation and also predominately identify as Americans. This is wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyyy faster than European ethnics of the past... so tell that man to suck it.

    ReplyDelete