Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Formas
When I was home this weekend, my mom got me started on some crocheting. I remembered it from when I was a kid but I hadn't done it much since. It was an interesting way to reflect on forms and shapes. I repeatedly crocheted two rows, took the hook out, pulled, and voila! it became a single solitary string again. Then I crocheted the string into a round, and went around and around the circle, making it bigger and bigger until it could almost be a coaster for a drink. Then again, I pulled the string and around it went, becoming a straight line again.
But aren't all of our garments just strings put together? We walk around thinking we have on a shirt and pants, but really we are just wearing strings.
In the photo, there is a blue scarf that my friend knit for me last winter. I wear it all the time, but now I am going to consciously meditate on this scarf being one string (or maybe it's two strings, that is possible as well). The other two scarves I just made out of old t-shirts I was going to throw away. I think they look cool. Now every time I open my dresser, I think about how the shirts would look as scarves. That could be a good meditation on how forms and shapes are only perceptions. This t-shirt is a t-shirt because someone has willed a bunch of strings into that shape. But I could just as easily will the strings into a different shape.
Which brings me to another question- who has willed me into my current shape?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment